Solomon Island Road Improvement Program (SIRIP) - Solomon Islands (2007 - 2008)
Narrative: The Solomon Island Road Improvement Project of the Ministry of Infrastructure Development (MID) aims to create sustainable mechanisms for road rehabilitation and maintenance using local contractors.
OCA provided TA inputs in support of the SIRIP implementation in subcontract to Carno Acil in:
- Review and design of Labour Based standards and draft productivity norms
- Drafting Labour based road maintenance contract specifications and work methods
- Formulation of introduction training for small emerging road maintenance contractors and delivery of initial ToT workshops and conduct of 2 training courses for small to medium scale contractors from Guadalcanal and Malaita islands on road maintenance (paved and unpaved roads,) both classroom and practical;
- Preparation and conduct of a national Labour Based workshop providing direction to mainstreaming Labour Based methods and appropriate technology in road network management.
- Assist SIRIP / Ministry of Infrastructure Development (MID) with preparation of a labour based training strategy for the Solomon Islands;
- Technical support to improve performance based maintenance contract documentation and development of standard unit cost of work;
- Initial training programmes for small construction businesses, - draft Labour Based maintenance training strategy, - National awarness and draft policy formulation workshop, - draft standards, unit costs and work methods for LB road maintenance.